Guide to Sciatic Nerve Pain with Your Fairfield and Belleville, NJ, Chiropractor
Among the many causes of lower back pain, sciatica is a very common one. And though it can be debilitating, it’s not something you are powerless against. Our team at Signature Health & Wellness Center, with locations in Belleville and Fairfield, NJ, provides natural, effective, lasting relief, allowing you to get back to life quicker. Learn more about how below.
What Exactly Is Sciatica and What Causes It?
Sciatica isn’t a condition itself but rather a term used to describe symptoms of a compressed sciatic nerve. This nerve is the longest nerve you have in your body. This compression can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
- Poor posture
- Muscle tension
- Herniated or slipped discs
- Spinal misalignment
- Sitting for long periods
- Degenerating discs
- Being overweight or pregnant
It begins in the lower back, branching off to travel down both the left and right legs to your feet. When it becomes pinched, it can create terrible symptoms along the entire length it runs.
Symptoms of Sciatica
Sciatica symptoms typically show up on the side where the nerve is compressed. In addition to lower back pain, these symptoms include:
- Pain in the hips or buttocks
- Numbness or weakness in the leg or foot
- Difficulty standing or walking
- Burning or tingling of one leg
For some people, these symptoms are seemingly endless. For others, symptoms only show up when sitting in a certain position or moving a certain way, and they can range from mild to severe.
Chiropractic Care for Sciatic Nerve Pain
Visiting a chiropractor for sciatica provides a safe and natural way to heal. While your treatment can vary according to your specific needs, the following are some of the most common methods used:
- Adjustments: Restoring the alignment of the spine can help ensure your discs are in place, releasing pressure from the nerve.
- Spinal decompression: Spinal decompression stretches the spine, relieving tension, pulling in slipped discs, and releasing nerve compression.
- Soft tissue therapy: Various methods can be utilized to relieve tension and inflammation that cause or are caused by a pinched nerve.
- Corrective exercises: These targeted movements help stretch and strengthen the spine.
Find Sciatica Relief with Your Fairfield and Belleville, NJ, Chiropractor
If you’re suffering from sciatica symptoms, it’s time to stand up and take control with the help of our team at Signature Health & Wellness Center. Call our Belleville office at (973) 759-2222 or our Fairfield office at (862) 210-8189 to schedule your appointment today.